Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:21:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Fanying Jen <fanying@fynet.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need Help with Dual Machine File Locking

I am trying to break from Linux for the first time and in a big way. I
have two 486s

fanying.fynet.com
cindy.fynet.com

which have identical processors, motherboards, memory, controllers,
video, and even cases. The two machines shared via scsi a single
external box with a disk array. The disk array is 4 disk in quantity and
of the type UW SCSI, not U2W SCSI, and of the SE type. The drives are of
identical make and model, Western Digital 9100-0007. The diagram shows
the setup below:

T = Terminater
There are two SCSI Y Cables that I somehow got my hands on them.

           ----[T]                         [T]---
          |--- SCSI --- [RAID Disks] --- SCSI ---|
  [fanying.fynet.com]                   [cindy.fynet.com]
      |        |                              |     |
      |         -- Ether --[Switch]-- Ether --      |
       ------ Ethernet --- [Switch] -- Ethernet ----

                       To The Internet

Machine specs:

fanying.fynet.com & cindy.fynet.com

486DX-33
128MB ea
Amptron DX-9700
Adaptec 2940UW
SCSI CDROM
Intel Intelligence Server Ethernet (i960) -> nice
3Com 3c509B
No internal hard disks, all of them are in the scsi box.

What I am trying to do with FreeBSD is to set up a cluster with RAID-1
and RAID-5. Both machines will boot up from the external disk drives. My
questions is how I set up the partitions to allow the disk to appear the
same to both machines and does FreeBSD support mandatory file locking
which means that any and all files that are being written to are lock
for the other machines? I need help with this. I see plenty of
documentation for Linux but my friend at www.saturated.net (FreeBSD Fan)
says that FreeBSD is more efficient especially for a machine like mine
and I want to be able to use FreeBSD for a Cluster with a Shared RAID
SCSI storage.

Thanks.

Fanying Jen (Network Administrator)
Email: fanying@fynet.com