Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:44:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gigabyte motherboards

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Gary D. Margiotta wrote:
> Just a quick (hopefully) question regarding gigabyte motherboards...
>
> We are currently running a Gigabyte GA-586HX board, and plan on getting
> another, but I wanted to know if anybody knew whether the GA-586-S board
> with the SIS chipset rather than the Intel was any better or worse.
> Personally, I think worse because it is cheaper, but you never know. TIA!

I've got two GA-586DX boards here, which are the dual processor (hence
Intel based) ones which work nicely. However don't put SIS out of the
market, IMHO, the SIS chipsets are cheaper because of market forces not
their capability.

I still run an old SIS based Pentium mainboard at home and from experience
SIS chipsets tend to do exactly the same job with similar performance as
Intel equipment, but for less money.

Beware of what happened with SIS based graphics cards though, which had no
support from XFree86 or anyone else for ages. Anyway, you'd need some real
benchmarks to make a good evaluation, but I wouldn't put them down just
because they are cheaper/not Intel.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342