Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:29:25 +1100 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Choi, Jun Ho" <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        Ron Steele <ron@dc.infi.net>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's FreeBSD 2.2.5 's FAQ and Handbook?

On 29 Nov 1997, Choi, Jun Ho wrote:

> I can't understand why the maintainers did such a thing. In my country,
> Linux is dominant, because there are some of enthusiastic volunteers
> and many document resource(more than FreeBSD) written in Korean.

In Australia everything is in English for us, but the situation is similar.
We are expecting to see 2.2.5 CDs mid to late December, and then I might
have to send a cheque interstate and wait a week for it to clear before
shipping.

There were problems in 2.2.2 that made me wonder if it had ever had a test
install by an unassisted lowly mortal unix dabbler, or onto any machine that
hadn't yet been touched by FreeBSD. No, I think 2.2.2's brilliance at guru
level and chasms at entry level proved that this couldn't have ever been
done. I wonder why?

I ordered several sets of 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 as they hit Oz, to give away to
convert friends to FreeBSD. I gave them Linux instead because it was easier
to install and support over the phone and looked more professional (from
their perspective) because the company (sic) was well enough established to
provide adequate documentation and the install didn't need fixing (that
missing file with incorrect errata) nor was an expensive Internet account
required to use it.

> I hope the next release of FreeBSD will contain the Handbook and FAQ
> like the good old days...

>From where I am, it's the release after next. If it doesn't, I'll SCREAM.

You and me know that it's worth stepping over the problems with the easy
stuff, because the hard stuff in FreeBSD is so damn good.
But will we be able to convince others? No way.

The target group has gotta change right now, or we'll cease to exist.

Regards,
        -*Sue*-