Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 19:08:06 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Rob Levandowski <robl@phoebe.accinet.net>
Cc:        "George Ellenburg" <gme@sundial.net>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, davidg@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Matt Stein" <matt@ican.net>
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

> >Tell your bosses though that if they want a Y2K statement they can spend
> >$5000 and buy BSD/OS 3.1.  Otherwise, you're stuck without a compliance
> >statement.  A community made up of nothing but volunteers doesn't need to
> >worry with this kind of stuff.
>
> Thanks so much.  With a response like this, my work to build support for
> FreeBSD within the company is worthless; I will be forced to cast aside
> my investment in this OS, and redeploy all my work on other platforms
> whose vendors do recognize the Y2K problem.

I find it truly inexplicable that you would take the response from
some random person on the mailing list and extrapolate all of this
from it.  I can only conclude that you must be having a bad day since
your conclusions otherwise defy all logic and I honest don't know what
to make of them.

> This, for the price of a simple note stating that the OS is Y2K
> compliant, or that users must apply certain patches to the core OS to be
> Y2K compliant.

The OS is Y2K compliant.  We've send a number of our machines into
the year 2020 and fixed those things which didn't work right.

> Previously, I had been a strong supporter of FreeBSD.  This note is
> making me reconsider that.  The advantages of FreeBSD aren't worth this
> level of arrogance and hubris.  If I wanted a "tough sh*t" attitude, I
> could run Microsoft software.  It's too bad that the FreeBSD "community
> made up of nothing of volunteers" doesn't feel the need to worry about
> their OS being acceptable to a business world concerned about losing
> everything on January 1, 2000.  Apparently FreeBSD isn't "just like
> Linux," because I was able to find a Linux web site stating Y2K
> compliance levels <http://www.linux.org.uk/mbug.html>.

Again, these conclusions leave me flabbergasted.  If you make such
sweeping decisions based on so little input then I can honestly only
conclude that we'd have found it impossible to work with you in any
case, no matter how the question might have been answered to begin
with.

						Jordan