Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:36:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@lambda>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, crypt and eBones

> It is still dangerous, as the State Department could start with us, find
> out how we brought it back in, go to you, and trace backwards to the
> source.  Though we may have not exported it, we sure as heck where acting
> as a party to a known crime.
>
> I would rather just stay away from the Kerberos code...

This is just passing the buck though (and is relevant for the crypt code
in general and not just kerberos).

Either you (i.e. those in the US) import work that is based on a site
outside the US or we (i.e outside the US) grab the work that you do and
very clearly break the export laws.

Basing the work at a site outside the US and importing it seems the
better of the two. I agree with Poul, we should move the non-exportable code
to a "safe" site and call it secure.freebsd.org. It can become an official
distribution site that everyone can import from.

The arguments I've heard against this are self-centered i.e. I'm not
working on the code if it's not conveniently sited at freefall, well
tough, we (outside the US) have to put up with this why should the US
contributers suffer *very little* when making infrequent contributions
to the secure code. Mark's doing most of the work and this would be
perfectly legal in any interpretation, site the stuff on his machine.
No more problems.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul