Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:33:16 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)

J. Hamby writes....

>Linux advantages:
>-----------------
>1) Better software support (both GNU and commercial).  Not much we can do,
>other than get the latest versions of the GNU software supported (GCC and
>so forth), and make sure our Linux emulator stays in top shape.
>
>2) DOSEMU.  Recent work on the FreeBSD emulation front is promising,
>though, however DOSEMU has several years head start and works quite well.
>Linux also supports VFAT (Win95 names) quite well.
>
>3) _Very_ modular kernel.  Unlike FreeBSD, you can install most every
>driver (for example Ethernet, SCSI and sound support) as modules, and
>there is a kerneld which automagically loads/unloads modules as programs
>request them.  For example, whenever I play a .au file, the sound module
>instantly loads, then after a minute of unuse, it unloads, saving me 96k!
>FreeBSD already has the infrastructure for this, but Linux just pushes it
>a little more to its logical conclusion.
>
>4) Supports arbitrary PC hardware better.  As of FreeBSD 2.1.5, the boot
>floppy _still_ doesn't recognize my IDE CD-ROM (which I've reinstalled
>after moving the SCSI CD-ROM to my BeBox), but Linux recognizes that kind
>of hardware out of the box.  Having more users means it supports a wider
>range of hardware, for example the parallel-port Zip drive.  The big
>problem for FreeBSD is EIDE/ATAPI support, since nearly all PC's are being
>sold with IDE CD-ROMs these days, and our support is currently buggy,
>mostly because it's a crappy standard to support properly, and all the
>core people use SCSI.  Unfortunate...
>
>5) Supports more architectures.  For example, I'll probably install Linux
>for BeBox after it's a little better tested.  Too bad FreeBSD and NetBSD
>have diverged so far, because FreeBSD could benefit from NetBSD's hardware
>support, and NetBSD could use the improved VM system and package system of
>FreeBSD..  :-(
>
>6) Heavy usage of /proc means getting a new kernel doesn't require
>recompiling ps, vmstat, and so on.  FreeBSD has /proc, we just need to
>make better use of it, esp. for debugging (its original purpose, even
>though our GDB totally ignores it!).
>
>7) Easy kernel setup.  The old "make config" prompting setup is still
>there, but now there's also a nice curses-based menu for setting options,
>and a nifty Tk version.  This is something I'd like to work on for
>FreeBSD, since I have some ideas of my own on this, as well.
>
>8) Easier for new users to install.  The Slackware verbose setup menus,
>while annoying for expert users, actually serve a good purpose by
>introducing novices (such as myself when I first installed Linux) to the
>wide variety of programs available.  You can also install to a UMSDOS
>partition (eliminating the need to partition the drive) and mount the live
>CD-ROM on /usr for a quick taste, which only needs about 10MB disk space!
>
>9) I've always liked Linux FDISK better than what FreeBSD had to offer,
> [...]

You left out one big disadvantage. The Kernel implementation is a pile
of crap, and that different combinations of drivers will yield almost random
results in terms of reliability and stability.

Just my impression.

Dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX