Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:16:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
To:        Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer compatibility

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Derrick Baumer wrote:

> > From: Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
> >
> > Maybe it is something with the interupt-driven/polled printer port. See
> > the mailarchive on www.freebsd.org/search for more info on this. See also
> > 'man lpt' and 'man lptcontrol'.
> >   I had similar problems once, but I don't know if they have the same
> > reason. Because you don't send any info about your configuration (ports in
> > kernel) in your e-mail.
>
> I am both grateful and a little embarrassed.  I would have checked the
> archives except that as I tested it, it seemed to be a ghostscript
> problem, not a FreeBSD problem.  I assumed the parallel port *must* be
> fine as it works great under that other O/S.  I never thought of the
> port driver.
>
> Anyway, I set it in polling mode and it prints beautifully (for a
> dot-matrix printer).  Thanks for your quick and helpful response.

I'm pleased it worked for you. Maybe you (or somebody else) wants to know
why it is interuptdriven by default. It's because the installation can be
done via a parallel port connection and than you need the interuptdriven
port. So the GENERIC kernel is compiled that way. That other OS you
mention can't install via the parallel port, so the problem does not occur
there.

BTW: It would be nice if the port would switch automaticaly when you open
the lpt device or the plip device.

Greetings,

Ronald.

--