Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:55:04 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest bt848 code

hi,
> >From The Desk Of Randall Hopper :
> > I'll do some tests later to verify that brightness/contrast/etc. do in fact
> > keep their values across stops/starts when the driver handle is held open.
> >

> The driver does keep the brightness/constrast/etc.. values while the
> the device is open. I have a modified version of dtv which moves down
> the screen and it does not lose brightness nor contrast.

we're past that problem now, fxtv was doing close/open for every
redraw.  now I'm looking at what can bee done to save state between the
last close and the next (1st) open.

In particual open DOES NOT seem to set METEOR_DEV_MASK (it contains
whatever it was at the point of the last close) BUT the open seems to
reset the actual input device (haven't figured out where yet).  So
it needs to be fixed so that either the input device is only reset
by attach (which does set METEOR_DEV_MASK) or if the input device
must be reset by the 1st open call, METEOR_DEV_MASK should be set to
reflect the input.

The reason for the above requested fix is that xtvr needs to have an
accurate idea of what the true input is.  It does this by doing an
METEORGINPUT ioctl.  Since this returns the value from the previous open,
if that input wasn't the same as what open resets it to it gets confused.

Question:

 what does this code in open() do:

	/* dump_bt848(bt848); */
	*bt848 = 0x3;