Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:21:11 +0100
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel graphics driver broken on 10-RC5

On 01/09/14 12:14, Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just tried a few variants on my 64 bit laptop with Intel HD4000 graphics.
> Ivy bridge I think (not haswell for sure)..
> 10.0-RC5 compiled from source [GENERIC kernel config on amd64 and i386]
> works with vesa but with Intel I can't even start X (this was possible a
> while ago on 10 alpha I think....)
> CURRENT [amd64] seem to work fine with Intel driver so far. I have X +
> openbox + glxgears running.
>
> Attached with this mail is Xorg.log, dmesg and pkg info from 10.0-RC5 on
> amd64.
> All packages are installed with "pkg install xxx"
>
> Is it to expect that the Intel driver won't be usable in the final 10.0
> release?

Looking at the dmesg and info about the CPU you have a HD3000 graphics,
but it doesn't matter in this case.

You are trying to run the old xserver with the old drivers.  This has
never supported KMS or any recent intel graphics cards.  To get this
working you need to either run current, for which there are binary
packages for a more recent xserver, or add WITH_NEW_XORG= to
/etc/make.conf and (re)compile all ports yourself.
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising