Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:02:20 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   curious network performance under 4.5-PRE

I am running a Compaq AP400 workstation under 4.5-PRE which has
its internal ethernet card connected to a 512k/bit cable modem. It also
has a second card (both fxp cards) connected to a hhub and a number
of other machines hanging off the hub, running a variety of windows and Unix
operating systems (though no other FreeBSD machines currently).
The box is running natd to give access to the internet to the other machines.

If I transfer a large file from a well connected machine to one of the boxes
on the home network I get pretty much the full 512kbiit/s. If I do the
same (same file, same remote machine) frm the freeBSD box itself I only
get about 80% of this tops!

This makes no sense to me at all - I would have expected the downstream
machines to have worse performance than the directly connected one. These
measurements are repeatable too, so its not s fluke of traffic. Does anyone
have any ideas whats going on ?

I dont know if this effect is specific to 4.5-PRE, as I only started doing
the large transfers as part of my testing of it, if this is a red-herring
for -stable and some well know effect existing in all versions then my
appologies. But its certainly puzzling (and not a little exasperating!)

-pcf.