Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:20:47 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   These mtv video pauses are murder

I recorded a few cool 30fps video flicks this evening with this new-found
hard disk access speed.  But man! to play 'em back at 30fps, I have to
crank the audio quality down on mtv!  Otherwise I get these really nasty
FPS lags (I think you've seen them too).

Really would be cool if we could look at addressing this (BTW, I'm on
3.0-current now with the 971208 SNAP, so I think I've got your latest),
that is, if it is a driver issue and not a mtv bug.

Here's how I run mtv normally (my csh alias):
       alias mtv 'mtv -ac0 -aq2 \!*'

I.e. High quality, Stereo.  Great sound!, but the FPS lags big time for a
a good many seconds during playback.

Drop down to Low-quality Mono, and hey, the FPS is awesome -- looks like TV!
But the audio track of course sounds like a 1930s AM broadcast. :-(

Medium-quality Stereo and High-quality Mono still lags a good bit, but less
than High-quality Stereo.  Medium-quality Mono still lags some -- about
half of the previous two.

So its definitely related to the bandwidth of audio data mtv is trying to
pump into the sound driver.  But I guess your previous msgs to/from Tristan
confirmed that -- mtv probably blocking waiting on buffers to free up.

Once we get YUV and mpeg_encode streaming in place in fxtv and have mtv
really cooking with medium- and high-quality audio, MPEGs on FreeBSD will
be _very_ cool.

Later!

Randall