Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 19:05:12 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Backup of 32bit dev entries

I've forgotten what we've got left that still works to make backups
of current /dev entries.  I tried these:
	tar cf /tmp/ttt .
		tar: rsd2s4h: minor number too large; not dumped
	pax -w -f /tmp/ttt  *
		pax: Ustar header field is too small for rsd0.ctl
	find . -print | cpio -o > /tmp/ttt
		cpio: sd0 not dumped: device number would be truncated
	dump 0f /tmp/ttt .
		DUMP: bad sblock magic number	The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

Allowing 32 bits in before we could easily back them up seems strange,
PS let's avoid a format zealot's session here, I guess we have have enough
afficionados of each to want all commands to remain usable, if possible :-)

Could we put specific examples in the manuals of those commands that
are still capable of coping with our FreeBSD specific 32 bit devs,
ie let's make it easy for people, no point forcing everyone who has known
these commands for years to start poring through manuals, for a clue to
defeating the 32bit devs backup problem.

Julian S