Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:20:08 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Pablo Bendersky <pbendersky@itineri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN: poptop

> I'd like to give access to a remote machine running Windows ME.  I
> have a Firewall/NAT running FreeBSD and Windows 2000 DNS/DHCP/DOMAIN
> servers.
>
> Can it be done through VPN?

Yes.

> Does anyone knows how to do it?

Yes.

> Maybe poptop is the solution ?

Since you mentioned PoPToP, I assume you want to use PPTP for your
VPN, not something like IPsec.  I use mpd to give PPTP access to
several Windows 2000 clients, and it works fine.  (I chose mpd over
PoPToP, since mpd uses FreeBSD kernel facilities specifically made for
this kind of thing, whereas PoPToP is userland software ported from
Linux.)  I've never used (or even seen, for that matter) Windows ME,
so I suppose YMMV applies.

> How do I install it ?

1) Either get the source yourself and compile it, according to the
instructions (it's

  /pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/archie/mpd-3.2.tar.gz

on ftp.freebsd.org), or do

  # cd /usr/ports/net/mpd && make install

2) Read the documentation (it's HTML format) and the sample
configuration files.

Lucas