Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:23:34 +0100
From:      Master One <MasterOne@o0l0o.org>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acer Aspire One 753 Netbook: ACPI or Sandy Bridge Problem

Am 19.12.2012 01:51, schrieb matt:

> On 12/18/12 09:53, Master One wrote:
>>
>> - CPU fan goes to maximum after booting
>> - "shutdown -p now" completes the shutdown process, turns off the
>> screen, but does not turn off the computer
>> - "reboot" completes the shutdown process, but gets stuck at the
>> line
>> "usbus1: Controller shutdown complete" for about 30 seconds before
>> it
>> finally reboots
>> - "zzz" does some USB related disconnecting and then just hangs
>>

> This sounds like a misbehaving USB device. Disable all peripherals in
> the BIOS if possible (webcam, fingerprint if present, whatever other
> junk)
>
> And unplug this:
> uhub3: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0020, class 9/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr
> 2>
> on usbus1
> uhub3: 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered
> ugen1.3: <Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.> at usbus1
>
> Then give it another try. I don't see anything that screams ACPI
> problem
> so much as a device that times out a lot, leaving the kernel waiting.
> Just a guess though.

Hi Matt,

There are no options to disable any devices in the BIOS. The AO753 has
a webcam (the Sonix entry at ugen1.3) and a SDcard-reader, but nothing
else, so there is nothing to unplug.

# usbconfig
ugen0.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
(480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
(480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
ugen0.2: <product 0x0020 vendor 0x8087> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
ugen1.2: <product 0x0020 vendor 0x8087> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
ugen0.3: <USB2.0-CRW Generic> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
(480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen1.3: <1.3M WebCam Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.> at usbus1, cfg=0
md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

BTW The CPU fan goes to maximum once the kernel is loaded, before
probing for any USB devices, not after booting as originally stated.

Any more ideas, or any clue on how to further investigate that issue?

It's pretty sad, because that computer (although already 2 years old)
is pretty much the most powerful machine I have here right now for
desktop/mobile use, and it was the one machine destined to run FreeBSD.
Still hoping to make it work somehow.

Greetings,

--
Michael