Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2017 19:53:59 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        rahul gupta <rkg10100@gmail.com>, Shivansh Rai <shivansh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need Help regarding contribution to Free BSD Projects
References:  <CANvmR=bqjOh2xcLR%2B%2Bz_pGpueuswOscKLAeLHYwUU_9q1G6buQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAF%2Bp1Hv3-CPi48EubzO%2B4=3NbJ4cQELwRtAwDT5S1MmX1oRKpQ@mail.gmail.com> <CANvmR=Yw3kfKt-q2Na%2BE1Knspq3s1jK5oURGwy0A89Xjxhce_A@mail.gmail.com> <CANvmR=ZprNBq%2B%2BKwb7%2BfY1s9QV=Y6%2BUXRpO8gyJH3ZqN2vPXiQ@mail.gmail.com> <CANvmR=anYJ=YrEaqJ6GfL9E1Ex3JZZpntZLrkSMwLNNr%2BJTJKw@mail.gmail.com> <CAF%2Bp1Hu79JfS-WS=HfQM9WU=YjO0koJvdY%2BE4NqpOrTz1r6=%2Bg@mail.gmail.com>, <CANvmR=Zb2xCNjDkfeqVkC7ioa2SV-mm1iK6gr2Gy3injf2QVLA@mail.gmail.com>

rahul gupta wrote:
[good stuff snipped]
>>> Hi Team,
>>> Actually I am looking for Some Dev and i keen to work on File system so
>>> please any body assigned me some work related to file system and guide =
me
>>> the way that how can start contributing because i am quite beginner to =
this
>>> so please help me .

Well, first off I'll make a few "big picture" comments...
- If you were expecting to hear from someone with a "go work on this", it w=
on't
  happen.
  Why?
  Well, there isn't anyone. The FreeBSD project doesn't have a CTO or a com=
mittee
  of wizards that make technical decisions. It is much more an "anonymous c=
ollective".
  - Basically, you find something that interests you. At some point, when y=
ou have a
    patch that you think the project will find useful, you propose it (eith=
er on one
    of the email lists or reviews.freebsd.org). If others think it is usefu=
l, hopefully
    some committer will pick it up and do the commit.
   - After a while, the committers get tired of doing this and suggest you =
become a
     committer and do the commits yourself, etc...
There is a group called "core" which are elected by the committers, but the=
y mostly
deal with logistics and not technical issues. They are the ones that decide=
 if an
individual is to become a committer.

Now, since you mentioned "file systems", I will note that Fuse is in need o=
f some TLC.
(There is a kernel component, which a few of us know a little about and a l=
ibrary
 that at least I, know nothing about. It also could use a bunch of testing =
with different
 file systems.)
Here's a recent email thread related to Fuse:
http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?87y3r0ankb.fsf

In general, you'll want to join several email lists and what gets discussed=
 on them
will give you an idea of what people are working on. (If you become a commi=
tter,
you pretty well have to watch these lists, so you might as well start now;-=
)
A few I'm on are: freebsd-fs@, freebsd-current@, freebsd-stable@, freebsd-a=
rch@

You will need a system that you can test source changes against head on, so=
 you should
set up a head/current system. (head/current refers to the src tree found at
repo.freebsd.org/base/head and is where the stable and release branches are
created from, so that's where source patches go first). I think you can get
read-only anonymous access to the subversion repo, but I haven't done so.

Good luck and have fun with it, rick=