Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:06:48 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feature list journalled fs

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 02:40:37PM -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >   You are saying so that when someone updates the disklabel to specify a
> > larger partition, the hooks would be used to notify the filesystem which
> > could then do the dirty work?
> >   You haven't happened to visit the Pacific Northwest recent, perhaps near
> > the town of Redmond, WA? :) Seriously, such hooks would have to be in the
> > kernel, not the disklabel program, in the off chance someone uses a tool
> > other than disklabel to edit the partition table.
>
> I suppose it's possible to get the Vinum daemon to do this.  In
> principle the idea makes sense, but it would need to be done right.  I
> can think of a lot of more important stuff to do first.

At least resizing should work before.

> >   Basically what we need is a filesystem-specific resize function which
> > userland tools could use a syscall to request a filesystem be resized, and
> > the filesystem itself would do the implemention.
>
> Resizing a file system is not a thing you can do in a system call.
> Much needs to be done in user context.

I have to agree.
Everything possible should be done in user-mode because this keeps the code
nonresident and the kernel small.
But several things need to be done in sync with the incore informations
of the fs - at least if you won't freeze the fs and resync the incore.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de