Date:      10 Sep 2000 01:06:41 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PortsNG (was Re: Ports Options Paper)

 * From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>

 * It is possible.  Might take a great deal of work, but that's
 * not the point.  The point being is this a requirement for the
 * new system or just something on Steve's wishlist?
 *
 * I won't get to deep into a design for this because we haven't
 * even determined yet if we want to support this but... One
 * could write a program that given any two packages (foo and
 * foo_with_bar) the second package would be redone to only contain
 * the files not in the first or that were changed because an option
 * was added and a dependency added in the second package on the
 * first.  In many cases this would be a nearly trivial exercise and
 * would help tremendously with our need for more space on the release
 * discs.

I agree that it will be a tremendous help if we can do it
automatically.  Not only for the release CDs, but for people sitting
behind networks, etc.

I was just questioning whether it is as simple as you made it sound in
the first message. ;)

 * Ok.  Here's a rhetorical question?  Why do need a new target or
 * option for pkg_add?  Shouldn't just doing a 'make install' or a plain
 * pkg_add do this transparently?  Maybe we should have an expert-mode
 * that allows the brave at heart to turn this feature off, but I
 * think transparent upgrades should be the default.  No?

That would be fine too.  I'm not too concerned about the user
interface.  But what the target/command actually does is very
important.

Satoshi