Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:29:15 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   routing problems

My ADSL modem (Nokia M10) acts a firewall, dhcp server, and a gateway.
That's fine for a Windows setup but not for me.  I already have a
gateway/firewall/NAT box.  I've had to create pinholes (i.e. redirects) on
the adsl modem to redirct certain ports into the freebsd box (e.g. 80, 53,
etc).  However, I cannot browse to my own websites.  For example, if I try
to browse to freebsddiary.cx, it times out.  I suspect this is because the
ADSL modem sees the incoming request to 210.55.164.76 with a address
inside the firewall.

Can I solve this problem with redirects or routing on the FreeBSD box?  I
tried just doing a "route add 210.55.164.76 127.0.0.1".  That didn't fix
it and stuff like traceroute just went circular.

cheers.

Here's my setup:

210.55.164.76

ADSL modem

192.168.1.254

192.168.1.1

FreeBSD Gateway/webserver/firewall/named

192.168.1.5

rest of my LAN

--
Dan Langille