Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 17:03:32 +1030
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD update & custom kernel

Hi everyone,
I recently tried out freebsd-update on a system with a custom kernel (it =
uses ALTQ) and it seems that this means you have to reboot into the new =
generic kernel, build the custom kernel & install it and then reboot =
again.

Obviously for me this is not a huge deal since I only need it for ALTQ =
but it is more challenging if you need a custom kernel because a GENERIC =
one crashes etc.. It also reduces downtime significantly since it saves =
a reboot etc..

Is it feasible for freebsd-update to update the source before the first =
reboot so a custom kernel can be built? Even if it had to go into a =
separate directory to allow rollback to work it would be a worthwhile =
tradeoff.

I have no idea how feasible such a thing would be though :)

Thanks

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."