Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:50:47 +0200
From:      Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/42074: rsync depends on many other packages - popt dependencies?

> Possibly as a result of change ports/37348, rsync now depends on a
> whole bunch of other packages including an XML parser!

> This is a bit of a pain in a server environment where you want to
> install the minimum amount of shrapnel. libpopt I will accept, but
> the rest seem irrelevant to rsync.

> expat/libiconv/gettext are dependencies of popt, so I guess the
> question really is why a command-line option parser depends on those
> things?

I understand the problem. I can surely switch back to use the popt which
is included in rsync, but the problem is that the rsync developer want
to remove popt with one of the next releases. And then, we are again at
this point.

So, a good solution might be to remove the gettext dependency of popt,
if this is possible (lioux ?).

Someone comments, hints, any ideas?

Regards,
         Olli