Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:32:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/make Makefile config.h job.c main.c

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, John Baldwin wrote:

> Brian Feldman wrote:
> > green       2000/08/16 16:31:44 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     usr.bin/make         Makefile config.h job.c main.c
> >   Log:
> >   Allow use of the ${MAKE_SHELL} variable to specify alternate shells for
> >   make(1) to use.  Setting it to "sh" and "ksh" are the only values which
> >   work right ATM; I wouldn't expect "csh" to get you far ;)
>
> zsh should work though, or bash, right?  Basically any Bourne-ish shell..

Should :) I don't know any major -isms of our ash-based /bin/sh, but
I do know that pdksh is one of the closest shells to true complete
POSIX compliance, and I've been running with that as the MAKE_SHELL
for a very, very long time -- and it even speeds up ports building
significantly!

Using zsh might be hard without adding something to turn off some of its
very weird parsing, and I think bash would probably work, too.  As for
other shells, I'd place money on the Real ksh working for the job, and
that's about all I can really think of.