Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:42:38 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba and a MS-DOS-daemon

Hi everyone!

Background
----------
Have set up a Samba server with an MS-DOS client, running
DEC PathWorks 5.0. The client boots from a disk just to
get it on the net, then it continues booting from my Samba
server. Works ok!

Error description
-----------------
The client has the volume name D: for the connection to the
server. There is a program running as a daemon on the client.
The daemon receives data that are written as a file to D:.
The file can be seen on my FreeBSD box, but when it seems to
have been transfered, it says it can not write to D: and then
the connection is totally lost to this volume on the MS-DOS
client.

Running the same thing, with a connection to a WinNT server
instead, though works ok. The daemon on the client, when con-
nected to WinNT, prints out, for an example:
"File transfered: D:\TDIS_in\file.dat, Size: 645.5 kb."

My question
Can it be that the MS-DOS-daemon tries to make a DOS system
call, asking for the size of the file it just did put on D:
(on my FreeBSD computer), and this DOS system call crashes
the connection as my filesystem on FreeBSD apparantly is a
none DOS file system?

I hope anyone can be of some help, and thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Paul