Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:16:51 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dragos Ruiu <dr@dursec.com>, Dario Alcocer <dalcocer@home.com>, Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>, holger glaess <glaess@element5.de>
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: picobsd on cdrom
References:  <20000822090851.A33321@wantadilla.lemis.com> <20000822014911.B66558@diskfarm.firehouse.net> <XFMail.000821112125.glaess@element5.de> <20000822090851.A33321@wantadilla.lemis.com> <14753.50408.306512.191859@pino.localdomain> <20000822094138.A47951@wantadilla.lemis.com> <14753.51207.174266.283326@pino.localdomain> <XFMail.000821112125.glaess@element5.de> <20000822090851.A33321@wantadilla.lemis.com> <00082117271208.32142@smp.kyx.net>

Sorry for the silence.  I'm consolidating some of the messages I
received; I'll have more at the end.

On Monday, 21 August 2000 at 17:31:16 -0700, Dario Alcocer wrote:

>     Greg> I think the strong opinions will remain :-) But this is more
>     Greg> a separate project.  My feeling is that we should do
>     Greg> something like the normal release, just with a lot less
>     Greg> stuff.  Have you ever done a 'make release'?  That would be
>     Greg> a start.
>
> No, but of course, I'd be more than willing to learn and try.  In
> fact, I went out and bought a machine some weeks ago that I was
> looking to dedicate as PicoBSD development platform; the only FreeBSD
> machine I have is at 3.1, so I wanted to get a new machine up and
> running with whatever newer version of FreeBSD is required to work
> with Pico BSD.
>
> Which version of FreeBSD do you recommend I put on my new Pico BSD
> development machine?

The normal way is to start with -CURRENT.  You may prefer the
-CURRRENT tag PRE_SMPNG.

On Tuesday, 22 August 2000 at  1:49:11 +0000, Alan Clegg wrote:
> Out of the ether, Greg Lehey spewed forth the following bitstream:
>
>> I have this on my tuit list.  Specifically, a 50 MB version which will
>> fit on a mini-CD.  If anybody wants to work with me on this, I'd be
>> grateful.
>
> I'd love to work on this.  Point me in a direction.
>
> Note that I have two of the "NETNIC" machines, so I want to get the
> bootable image down to 4MB (the size of my flash-IDE-drive).

This looks like a different objective from mine.  For 4MB, I think I'd
start with the custom build and flesh it out a little.  At the moment
custom uses 2 floppies, but it doesn't quite fill the second.

On Tuesday, 22 August 2000 at  8:58:15 +0200, holger glaess wrote:

> On 21-Aug-00 Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Monday, 21 August 2000 at 11:21:25 +0200, holger glaess wrote:
>>> hi all
>>>
>>> one question itī given any member here there are try to make a
>>> picobsd an burn/boot it from cd ?

That's my intention.  Read on at the end.

>> I have this on my tuit list.  Specifically, a 50 MB version which will
>> fit on a mini-CD.  If anybody wants to work with me on this, I'd be
>> grateful.
>
> is ok iīm there is better to develop with other people on on project with
> the same destination.
>
> i think we need a roadmap a plan , some ideaīs

OK, let's consider what we have and what people want:

Have:

Four or five different build directories in /usr/src/release/picobsd,
most of them broken.  The FreeBSD kernel has bloated considerably
since 3.0, and I expect it to continue to do so.  I think that it
won't be long before a single (1.44 MB) floppy PicoBSD will not be
possible with a -CURRENT or -RELEASE.  The custom build uses two
floppies, and while it's also broken (or was last time I tried), it's
not irreperable.  It also allows you to add additional floppies.

Want:

- A one-floppy build that works.  I think the best way to do this is
  to bite the bullet and stick with 3-STABLE.  That should work for
  quite a while to come, and it's less likely to break every time
  somebody bloats something.  It would be possible to build cut-down
  versions of the current -STABLE branch, but that would keep
  breaking.

- A way of catching breakage when it happens, and not next time
  somebody tries to build.  We should get a commitment for builds of
  the latest PicoBSDs in the same rhythm as the snapshot releases.

- A 4 MB image for flash.

- A "bootable business card", a 50 MB standalone FreeBSD installation
  which will run from FreeBSD (or optionally from ramdisk), which
  doesn't have to use local disk, but which may optionally do so.
  This disk would be installable on bootable Zip, CD-ROM or LS-120,
  and would replace the fixit disk.  I'm working on this particular
  one.

Anything else?

Greg