Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:00:51 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>
To:        Scott Campbell <scampbel@gvpl.ca>
Cc:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mit@mitayai.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Virus Scanning Software for FreeBSD

Scott Campbell writes:
 > On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, James Wyatt wrote:
 >
 > > I have an eval copy of a product that looks promising: Sohpos antivirus.
 > >
 > > 	http://www.sophos.com/products/antivirus/savunix.html
 > >
 > > You can use the SAVI (API for virus checking) to scan email according to
 > > the description at:
 > >
 > > 	http://www.sophos.com/products/antivirus/savi/
 > >
 > > Their licensing looks fair and the sales person assigned to me has been
 > > politely helpful and not overly insistant. Everything I've looked at so
 > > far looks great, but the customer that wanted it has had delays and now
 > > wants to wait for FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE to install things on their server.
 > >
 > > Updates are monthly CDs and urgent updates are available as downloads.
 > >
 > > Our intent is to have it go after SMTP, HTTP, and FTP if we can and to
 > > scan the Samba partitions for file infections. It handles uSoft Office
 > > products like Word(tm) docs and such.
 > >
 > > Best of all, they support FreeBSD so we should support them, right? - Jy@
 > >

 > I can't say enough good things about the Sophos product.  We originally
 > got it in April '99 and have been successfully stopping viruses ever
 > since.  It is running on our mail server (currently FreeBSD v4.2R, was
 > 3.0Snap until March 1) and is still available in aout and elf versions.
 > They have also added archive scanning inside numerous archive types. At
 > the time it was the only major company to have a FreeBSD version (NAI was
 > reported to have one but I couldn't track it down).  I wrote my own
 > script, instead of using Amavis, to work with Sendmail to virus scan.
 > Another thing that I've set up is an automatic ide (virus identity)
 > download from Sophos.  You can ask for automatic email notification when
 > they have written a new ide for a new virus (or variant).  When that
 > email arrives the new ide file is fetched and put into the sweep (their
 > virus checking program) directory and used next time it is run (I batch
 > my email scanning).  Service and support questions have always been
 > answered quickly and professionally.
 >
 > We also use it on all our Win95/98/Me/NT machines - they update themselves
 > from a central server that is upgraded manually each month when the CD
 > arrives.

There are avp software
ftp://downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com/products/avp_unix/freebsd/
Info about product you can get from: http://www.avp.ru/

Product have possibility to run in daemon mode (checks files sent via
unix domain socket)

--
TSB Russian Express, Moscow
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov, vova@express.ru