Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 20:30:16 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Dan Fairs <danfairs@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backspace and editors

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 12:19:23AM +0100, Dan Fairs wrote:

> Just a very quick question. When I telnet from a Linux xterm onto
> my FreeBSD box, backspace behaves strangely. It has the expected
> performance on the command line, but performs the usual function of
> the 'delete' key under windows when used within an editor (ee, pico,
> vi). How can this be fixed? It doesn't happen when I telnet in from a
> 'linux' term ie. not from within X.

Depending on what your xterm sends when "backspace" is pressed, you
might have to use stty to change the terminal's opinion about the
'erase' key.  For instance in my console, I can see:

	% stty
	speed 115200 baud;
	lflags: echoe echok echoke echoctl pendin
	oflags: -oxtabs
	cflags: cs8 -parenb
	erase
	^H

It shows that I changed the 'erase' key to ^H, to make my screen(1)
happier than before.  When I have such problems with terminal's erase
key being incorrectly set, I usually do:

	% cat
	[here press your backspace key]

If you see something like:

	% cat
	^H

then you know what to tell stty to use as 'erase' in:

	 % stty erase '^H'

Please note that in 'stty erase ^H' the caret (^) character is just
that, a separate character from 'H' that follows it; i.e. you don't just
press the backspace key there.

Ciao.

--
"The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older.
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death."