Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:43:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > 	It meets the spec when shipped but the bends, curves, temperature
> > and other factors do affect the performance.  I guess a good way to test
> > the cable is with FreeBSD since it's the only real OS I've seen that can
> > do like real world speeds.  The only thing is that has anyone really saw
> > 12 Megabytes/sec Full Duplex under FreeBSD?
>
> If you mean mega = 1048576, it's impossible since this is faster than 100
> Mbps whichever way you count it.
>
> If you mean mega = 1000000, it depends on which way you're counting. The
> "speed of light" for TCP, application to application, on 100 Mbps Ethernet
> is 100 * 1460/1538 = 94.93 Mbps. This assumes full duplex.

	I mean Mega as in 1000000.  100Mbps Ethernet should be equal to
about 12500Kbytes/sec which is equal to 12.5Mbytes/sec.  94.93Megabits/sec
doesn't equal to 100Megabits/sec.

> I've measured 94.87 Mbps myself on full duplex 100BaseTX (back to back
> with a crossover cable or through a switch).  This is close enough to
> the "speed of light" that I see no point in trying to improve on it...

	Yeah but what's the transfer rate you get?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]