Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 06:45:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mph@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, l.rizzo@iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: snd970909.tgz produces "OUCH" on CS4232

> First, I would like to congratulate Luigi on the birth of his
> child.

thanks :)

> I just installed snd970909.tgz (and pnp970907.tgz).  This is the first
> time I have used any of these drivers.  I own a CS4232-based sound
> card, and even OSS doesn't like it very much.  I was extremely
> pleased to see that Luigi's diver works quite well with it; I can
> play PCM data from CDs and mp3's, which never worked with the stock
> FreeBSD or OSS drivers.  Thanks for making such a useful driver!
>
> However, the driver emits a diagnostic continouously while I am playing
> a PCM file.  The boot messages are:

The 'OUCH' message refers to a bit (single dma mode) which is set
because there is no secondary DMA channel defined. There should not be
this error message since you really have single DMA mode. While I fix
things (eg also disable full duplex) the simplest thing you can do is
remove line

        DDB( if (m & 4) printf("OUCH! reg 9 0x%02x\n", m); );

in ad1848.c

Also for your case I will add the PnP vendor_id to the list of known
ones so you can exploit full PnP features. This will have the side
effect of moving the device from unit 0 to unit 1 which will require
you to change the symlinks /dev/audio, /dev/mixer, /dev/dsp to point
to the new unit.

	Thanks for the report.
	Luigi