Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:42:54 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

* Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net> [000927 21:19] wrote:
> A few ideas that've been in the back of my head.
>
> Would it make sense to have network device names abstracted one layer more?
>
> In other words, would it make it easier for new users, if all network
> drivers were mapped to something like et0?
>
> This might remove some of the need for rewriting rc.firewall on a newly
> isntalled system.
>
> With a symbolic name for interfaces, there could one that defaulted to
> deny everything.

This is why shell scripts allow for variables like:
outside_interface="fxp0"

> Being able to partition one FreeBSD system into multiple virtual routers
> would be a nice cabability as well. I wonder if that sort of thing
> would be possible, without totally gutting the network stack.

A url explaining what a "virtual router" is would be nice, if you
mean vlan, i'm pretty sure there's support:

(from 'man ifconfig')
     vlan vlan_tag
             If the interface is a vlan pseudo interface, set the vlan tag
             value to vlan_tag. This value is a 16-bit number which is used to
             create an 802.1Q vlan header for packets sent from the vlan in-
             terface.  Note that vlan and vlandev must both be set at the same
             time.

If not I'm not sure what you mean.

> I've heard of "capabilities" being brought over into FreeBSD. Would this
> eventually lead to a version of FreeBSD that knows even more about
> running processes?

Er, we could associate more information with processes, but by nature
FreeBSD knows as much about a process as a process does.

> I hoping that eventually, FreeBSD will be able to "fink" on bad processes.
> I've often wondered that relying on a sysadmin to figure out which
> process went south is less than optimal.

There exists tools to do such things in ports/security, i'm sure other
things could be fitted into the system such as logging signals that
are sent as well as file descriptors.

> Sorry, that sentence didn't come out right. At the moment, the BSDs are
> the bright spot in the OS universe. I have more hope that good things
> will come from them. UNIX continues to mature, but for all its glory, it
> has its rough spots too.
>
> An analogy, a weak one, would be ethernet. Ethernet has dominated the
> market. Its everywhere. But I'd argue that one of its biggest weaknesses
> is that it knows nothing of itself.
>
> When ethernet is overutilised, it just stops being optimal. Without a person
> figuring out what is going on, it just keeps bein suboptimal.
>
> ATM on the other hand, (if I understand it correctly), is aware of its limits.
> It hopefully would not allow itself to be oversubscribed. It either has
> the capacity to handle your traffic, or it does not. But either way it will
> tell you so.

An ethernet can have devices attached such that overutilization is
detected, many algorithms exist to detect various network problems
that occur on ethernet.

> Or look at file systems. Why is any part of a disk ever allowd to be empty?
> It costs the same to keep them running, whether they're empty or full.

I'm not sure what we'd fill them with, perhaps a suggestion?

> Or look at interprocess signals. Why don't we have a standardized signal
> for "please store state, and shut down cleanly"? Or one for "please
> reload state, and return to service"?

Tradition is SIGTERM is shut down and SIGHUP is reload.

> Thank you for taking the time to read these questions, and thank you for
> a forum to ask these kinds of questions.
>
> [RC]

Er, sure thing. :)