Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:51:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium MMX

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Robert Eckardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder whether there are significant performance advantages
> in using the new MMX CPUs under FreeBSD (in numerical, graphical
> and compiling applications).
>
> Does anybody know of problems of Pentium MMX CPUs on ASUS boards ?
>
> Thanx,
> Robert

As far as I know, the operations that make MMX better than pentiums are
the abilities it has to manipulate packed data. Until there is a machine
description and an optimizer for these cpus written into gnu cc, there
will be very little significant increase in performance....

Not that the orgs won't try to support them very soon, remembering
that un*x supporters are trying to keep unix as the IP-working standard,
the web standard, and all.

Pentium MMXs don't often cause much performance increase in everyday
operations, but their increase in blitting, etc. should be incredible.

cheers,
	John

jddst19+@pitt.edu   John Duncan
		    Freshman, University of Pittsburgh

"I'm not a doctor, but I ate one at the UPMC..."