Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 15:30:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After CVSup...Permission Denied

--- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 08:57:43AM -0800, Tom
> Kersten wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have 2 questions concerning the CVSup Process:
> >
> > 1.)I recently CVSup'ed my ports, docs, and
> src...it
> > worked fine but the ports have root-only
> permission
> > now. It isn't a real big deal because I am the
> only
> > main user of the system, but is this how it is
> > supposed to work? Or do I need to set a different
> > "umask" somehow to allow regular users access to
> the
> > ports?
>
> Yes; try setting it in your ~/.cshrc or ~/.login

I am using bash...I set the umask in my .bash_profile
to 022 (which should give an ownership value of 755,
from my understanding) and then ran CVSup again...to
update the ports. When I did this, I still have a
permission of 700 on all folders in /usr/ports (and
its subdirectories, files, etc). What am I doing
wrong??

> > Also, when I try to "make search" as a regular
> > user it gives me the:
> > "make search: don't know how to make search"
> error...
>
> Which directory did you type it in?  It's a function
> of the ports
> collection makefile, so you have to be in
/usr/ports.

I am in the /usr/ports directory. I still get the
"don't know how to make search" error.

> > 2.)After the CVSup finished I installed the new
> kernel
> > and ran the following commands to realign teh kvm
> > library (as suggested in "The Complete FreeBSD"):
> > #cd /usr/src/lib/libkvm
> > #make all install clean
> > #cd /usr/src/bin/ps
> > #make all install clean
> >
> > Evidently this didn't do it, I still get the
> error.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Well, that's a dangerous way to upgrade your kernel.
>  Please read the
> handbook on the webpage for the supported, safe way
> to upgrade your
> system after a cvsup.  Your problem wasn't
> kernel-related anyway.

I told you the wrong command that I ran, instead it
was
#cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
#make depend all install

sorry...once again. I am going by the mentioned
book...I will look into it some more. No further
comments are needed on this topic if it does not
relate to the permissions problem above.

Thanks for the reply,
Thomas