Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:05:37 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New PnP code does not work for me(?)

"Donald J . Maddox" wrote:
> Ok, will do.  Thanks.
>
> This may be a silly question, but...  The old PnP driver recognized
> a lot of devices, including my AWE64.  Isn't there a list of IDs it
> was aware of that should be merged into newPnP ASAP?

The old PnP code was matching on the card vendor ID.  The new pnp code
treats each logical device on it's own and matches by logical ID..
(It's actually far more useful that way as most cards have their own
manufacturer ID but quite often when they are compatable with something
they use that as their logical ID.)

For example, there are a zillion Soundblaster PnP compatables with their own
unique vendor ID but with a CTLxxxx ID on the logical device that implements
the sb parts of the card.

We're not doing this because we enjoy pain and suffering, it's because
it'll be better and more robust in the long run.  Unfortunately, there was
no canonical list of logical ID's on the cards we used to recognize.

So I repeat for the list.. If you've got a card that used to work or does
work under BIOS backwards compat preconfig with 'controller pnp0' disabled,
please send us a dmesg and pnpinfo -v so we can add the ID's.  'controller
pnp0' is quite likely to become non-optional soon so we can use the
motherboard resource lists.

Cheers,
-Peter