Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:03:23 +0200
From:      Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IMAP -> POP3 gateway?

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 10:42:02PM -0400, Ben Williams wrote:
> preface: I apologize if this ends up being twice-posted but I received
> what  appears  to be a message from the "local" postmaster complaining
> about my "reply to" address last time.
>
>    Extremely  unlikely for me to convince them to switch to IMAP would
> qualify for the "understatement of the year" award. I'll grab cyrus on
> my  local  machine  soon  and  have  a look. I have a basic idea for a
> framework  in  my head already but if I have to write it I'll probably
> have to look into the RFC's. For that matter I would probably come out
> easier  just  hacking  the  app I'm installing for them to use POP but
> that's what I'm trying to stay away from .. any other ideas?

Moin,

I think like Pat -- the best way is change to cyrus. It works great with
POP and IMAP. Another posibility is to fetch the mail from the POP
Server (fetchmail) and forward it to the IMAP Server or duplicate the
incomming mail with procmail and forward it to the POP and the IMAP one.
But this will produce a lot of traffic and redundant files.

Matthias

> --
>  Ben   <mailto:received@email.com>
>
> On or about Wednesday, October 06, 1999, sometime around 5:18:04 PM, you said:
> ppvo> The Cyrus IMAP server comes with a POP daemon that translates the
> ppvo> POP requests into IMAP.  That's the exact opposite of what you want;
> ppvo> but it still might provide a framework.  (I'm assuming that it is
> ppvo> extremely unlikely that you could convince them to switch to a standard
> ppvo> IMAP server with POP access; even one like Cyrus that keeps all the
> ppvo> mail in a private area and forces access via IMAP/POP.)
> >>
> >>   Does  anyone  know  how  I  could go about setting up an IMAP server
> >> (uw-imap "IMAP4rev1 v12.250" from ports) to talk to a pop3 server? The
> >> reason  I want to do this is the company I am working for has a custom
> >> smtp/pop3  server  which  holds all of its messages internally and the
> >> application  I  am  trying  to  put together for them already has IMAP
> >> support  built  into  to,  but  putting  the IMAP server on the system
> >> results in empty mailboxes because the custom smtp/pop3 is holding all
> >> the messages in non-standard ways and places.
> >>
> >> Any ideas and all help appreciated.

Matthias Teege -- matthias@mteege.de -- http://emugs.de
make world not war
PGP-Key auf Anfrage