Date:      Sun, 10 May 2015 15:57:23 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Thomas Skibo <thomasskibo@sbcglobal.net>, freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Heads-up regarding arm/armv6 snapshot builds

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 09:26:21AM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-05-09 at 13:55 -0700, Thomas Skibo wrote:
> > > On May 9, 2015, at 12:43 PM, Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > An important note for people using the Zedboard:
> > > A port of u-boot for this board does not currently exist in the Ports
> > > Collection, and as a result, support for building the ZEDBOARD image =
has
> > > been dropped.  If someone is already working on a port of this u-boot,
> > > please let me know.  Otherwise, I will work on the port as soon as
> > > possible.
> >=20
> > Hi, Glen.
> >=20
> > I have been supporting Zedboard in crochet.  Crochet builds u-boot for =
the Zedboard by lightly patching u-boot source from Xilinx (https://github.=
com/Xilinx/u-boot-xlnx).  I have one more patch to send Tim so that crochet=
 always builds u-boot from release v2014.4 because the latest release (v201=
5.1) broke some things which will require other tweaks to crochet.
> >=20
> > But, I wonder if there is sufficient interest in FreeBSD on the Zedboar=
d to warrant you going to the trouble to build snap-shots.
> >=20
>=20
> We should just turn your u-boot changes into a port.  (Hmm, wasn't there
> a licensing question on one of the files it needs, though?)
>=20
> Once a u-boot port exists, there should be minimal "trouble" in creating
> an image for it.  We are very close to having an armv6[hf] world which
> doesn't need UBLDR_LOADADDR set, which means a single world can be used
> to poplulate all the various images.  The only thing that will differ
> per-image is the kernel (and related dtb files) to install, and which
> u-boot package to install.  So there will be a little bit of config for
> Glen to set up for each supported board, but each added board won't
> require its own complete buildworld.
>=20

Board-specific bits are easy to handle, so this won't be a problem.
Each board config (release/arm/BOARD.conf) arm_install_uboot() overrides
the default (which does nothing by default).

Glen

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB

--2/5bycvrmDh4d1IB--