Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 2015 11:50:27 -0700
From:      Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mail/postfix default build options request: SASL

On 2015-07-07 11:29, Carmel NY wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:06:05 +0000, Brooks Davis stated:
>
>> We need a port that allows dovecot2 SASL by default.  There are a bunch of
>> turorials on setting up such systems and all of the have to start with "build
>> everything by hand" which makes us look bad.  I've been somewhat tempted to
>> adding a slave port mail/postfix-useful with SASL, TLS, and DANE turned on.
>> A less trollish name might be better though. :)
>
> I agree. I use the "postfix-current" port with Dovecot, TLS, SASL and DANE.
> However, Dovecot itself has a vast number of options that might make it
> extremely hard to work out a usable slave-port.

The parts of Dovecot needed by Postfix are independent of all of the
options provided by the mail/dovecot2 port because Postfix literally
only needs the headers that define the dovecot-auth socket protocol.  As
long as the version matches exactly, a custom build of dovecot2 will
drop in place of the stock dovecot2 without recompiling postfix.