Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 21:21:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: VM86 and APM

> Does anybody know of any problem using VM86 and the apm driver together?
>
> Looking casually at the source code of apm.c, I realize that it tries
> to use the VM86 service if available.
>
> However, when I boot the kernel with VM86, I get:
>
> apm0 not found.
>
> The kernel without VM86 used to detect the apm BIOS in my box all right.

I think that you may have APM disabled in your CMOS setup?

I think the APM VM86() call will detect this because it uses
BIOS-specific code that knows about the CMOS setting, but the
non-VM86() code ignores the CMOS setting (which can cause other,
interesting problems, like being able to suspend, but the laptop
not waking up on an event that should result in a "resume").

> PS. The SMP kernel needs a slight modification in VM86 to boot the
> kernel with apm or VESA service. tegge@fast.no has the fix. However,
> even after his fix, the apm BIOS is not found by the kernel.

I saw this go by on the SMP list; is anyone going to commit it?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.