Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:35:41 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        dud@dudcore.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heavy creation and deletion of symlinks

On Jun 6, 2006, at 10:49 PM, Dag Rune Sneeggen wrote:
> So my question is; how does such activity affect the general health
> and operation of FreeBSD?

It doesn't, really.  The OS will happily deference the symlinks you
create as needed.

> Also, the health of the harddrive(s) which will most likely be SATA
> disks.

Decent-quality disk drives shouldn't have any problems operating
under continuous load, but some low-end "desktop" drives aren't rated
for continuous operation.  You should probably look into setting up a
RAID-1, -10, or -5 configuration.

> It is my understanding that symlinks only affects the file
> allocation table, and not the physical data blocks? This would mean
> that the impact isn't so terrible, as the changes will be contained
> to a relatively small part of the beginning of the disk, correct?

No, that is not correct.

The FFS doesn't have a single "file allocation table", it has inodes
scattered throughout the various cylinder groups, which span the
entire disk surface.  Inodes contain some metadata which corresponds
to portions of the MS-DOS FAT, and some systems implement small
symlinks (aka "fast symlinks") within the inode entry, but longer
symlinks are stored in the data blocks in a fashion similar to
keeping text data in a normal file.

--
-Chuck