Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:24:24 +0200
From:      Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        soc-status@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Week 8 / Non-BSM to BSM Conversion Tools

Hello,

I=E2=80=99ve got a couple of interesting news for you.

# Parsing

According to what I=E2=80=99ve learnt from the Linux Audit mailing list =
there is no document with the standard. Generally, no one is translating =
and parsing Linux Audit logs on their own because there is a library =
called auparse which is capable of parsing those not-so-well =
standardised Linux logs. As a result my program is able to parse the =
most recent version of Linux Audit which is not that great - Debian uses =
a version from 2012 and CentOS a 2013 one.=20

I was told that in the near future auparse will have its interface =
expanded and it will be easier to extract information from Linux Audit =
records.

# Conversion

I=E2=80=99ve created an extensible and easy to use framework to =
modify/improve the current conversion from Linux Audit to BSM. At the =
moment most of the Linux Records are simply converted to text tokens =
(see audit.log(5)).=20

In fact Linux Audit is a little bit of a constantly morphing black box =
which means that logs might possibly contain anything inside. I was told =
that it is about to change but you never know - remember that Debian =
uses a 4 year old version of this software.

# CentOS

Now I am trying to get the most recent audit software on CentOS to see =
how Linux Audit records should really look like.

# Links:

- Linux Audit userspace TODO: =
https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/master/TODO =
<https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/blob/master/TODO>;
- My email to linux-audit redhat com (Steve Grubb is a really nice =
guy!): =
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2016-July/msg00063.html =
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2016-July/msg00063.html>;

Cheers,