Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2018 11:05:13 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?VMSzbA==?= Coosemans <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: colord hints needed

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 22:33:45 -0700 Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> Not entirely sure this is the proper place to ask this question, so please
> let me know if not.
>
> Can anyone who is using colord point me at what it takes to get it running?
> I have it installed but it's not running, and it's not clear to me how to
> get it set up.  I see man pages installed for
>    cd-create-profile
>    cd-fix-profile
>    cd-it8
>    colormgr
> I see the following behavior:
>
> $ colormgr get-devices
> No connection to colord: Could not connect: No such file or directory
>
> $ /usr/local/libexec/colord
>
> (colord:53306): Cd-WARNING **: 22:22:04.783: failed to open plugin directory: Error opening directory ?/usr/local/lib/colord-plugins?: No such file or directory
>
> If I create the directory /usr/local/lib/colord-plugins, colord appears to
> execute but there is no daemon left sitting around.
>
> $ ps ax | grep colord
> 53316  3  S+        0:00.00 grep colord
>
> I'm running xfce4 as a wm; no session mgr.

It provides org.freedesktop.ColorManager D-Bus service and it should be
started automatically by dbus-daemon whenever an application tries to
access that service.  When I run "colormgr get-devices" colord is started.

So make sure you have dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and that it is
running (run "service dbus status" and "service dbus start").  You may
also need to have xfce4-session installed and start xfce using
"startxfce4 --with-ck-launch".