Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:15:20 -0600
From:      Luke Johannsen <ljohannsen@everestkc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail will not deliver after configuration of NIC

Caveat, I am new to Unix and FreeBSD but have been finding my way
around fairly well.

My problem: It appears that once I configure my network device mail
won't deliver.

I've been playing with FreeBSD at home and work trying to learn Unix.
I've never really cared much about the mail system. Until recently I've
just been finding my way around, learning commands and how to configure
and install programs. Anyhow my play machine at work won't deliver mail
yet both of my home machines, configured similarly to work, deliver
just fine. I can run the following:

# mail root

and my home machines root accounts get mail yet work says :no such file
/var/mail/root
when I type
# mail

I figured I had just jacked something with my work machine and not
caring too much decided reinstall from scratch. To my dismay after
setting everything up mail would still not work.  I started over again
yet this time when it asked to configure a Network interface device I
didn't. As luck would have it mail worked. I rebooted and still worked.
Yet after I ran /stand/sysinstall and configured network interfaces
mail would not work. All I want is to have local users be able to send
mail to each other locally on this machine.

What am I doing wrong?