Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:05:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Add-in Card?

The following excerpts from messages posted to
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
note a Sun Sparcstation solution to running Microsoft programs--an add-in
card that runs Windows 95 "natively."  This suggests the possibility
of a card that would allow one to install and run Windows (3.1, 95, NT,
whatever...maybe even dos games)....perhaps in a X-Window.

I really don't know what I'm talking
about here but it sounds perhaps easier than emulation.  The unix/
FreeBSD system needs to be able to access files on a primary FAT
partition on the same hard drive.....but it can already do that, can't
it?

>> With
>>   1) the lack of MS compatible office applications available on
>>      on UNIX platforms
>>   2) the cost difference (although narrowing) between Intel based
>>      hardware and RISC based hardware
>>   3) The impending Merced chip by HP and Intel
>>   4) The ever increasing trend towards NT
>>
>> our management is seriously considering porting to NT.

>I know that Sun Sparcstations have an add-in x86 board
>for doing just this sort of thing [supporting Microsoft apps]
>(I assume that
>other Unix vendors do as well), as well as software
>support for the occasional user. The x86 board runs Win95
>(you buy and install the stock CD) natively, and displays
>in an X window (so you can also direct the Win95 screen
>elsewhere if you require).

Annelise