Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:04:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        andy@cabernet.md (andy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail ][

andy wrote,

> I would like to install last sendmail over an older one.
>
> I'm gonna unpack sendmail distro and issue "make all".

Didn't I just say this somewhere? Yes, on the 23. Anyway,

# cd /usr/ports/mail
# fetch ftp://ftp.sendmail.org/pub/sendmail/sendmail.8.9.3.tar.gz
# tar xzf sendmail.8.9.3.tar.gz
# cd sendmail-8.9.3
# make
# make install

> Will this way lead me to the proper sendmail instalation?

Yep.

> Does it take care for permission/path names/whatever?

Yep. The only thing I found was that it leaves 'purgestat' behind,
which was a hardlink to the old sendmail binary.

> Will I be able to handle my database maps without additional library
> instalation?

8.9.3 should be able to read your /etc/sendmail.cf and all else from
your earlier version just fine.