Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:00:23 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@spock.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NEWCARD updates

For a while now I've been playing with NEWCARD, and I ended up making a lot
of changes.  I would appreciate any comments on them.  Since there are a
number of large changes, I'm not going to commit right away.  You can find
the diffs at http://people.freebsd.org/~jon/newcard.diff (.gz version also
available if you don't feel like downloading 140k)  This should apply
cleanly on any -CURRENT this month. (if yours is older, the fix is trivial)
You may also need to apply http://people.freebsd.org/~jon/pci_enable_io.diff
if your -CURRENT is before June 10.

Briefly, the significant changes include:
 * Way better resource management in pccbb, pccard and cardbus.
 * pccard hot-removal now appears to work.
 * support pre-fetchable memory in cardbus.
 * update cardbus to support new pci bus interface functions.
 * FINALLY fix cardbus CIS reading, it should no longer freeze your
   machine. (I seem to recall fixing this before, but oh well...)
 * variable renames in pccbb cause I was getting confused which was which.

What's not there:
 * style(9) complience in portions of code (will fix those separately)
 * a simpler version of the cis reading interface
 * a complete implementation of CIS tuple parsing

Again, I would appreciate any testing and/or comments on this.

BTW, does anyone have a copy of the pccard specs, or know of some other
resource for a complete description of cis tuples?