Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2017 15:20:15 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com>
Cc:        fcp@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Developers <developers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Announcing the 'FreeBSD Community Process'

On Jun 14, 2017 2:38 PM, "Rui Paulo" <rpaulo@me.com> wrote:

On Jun 13, 2017, at 23:53, FreeBSD Core Secretary
<core-secretary@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Core has just presented their ideas for a new 'FreeBSD Community
> Process' at BSDCan.  This will provide a more formalized mechanism for
> proposing and deciding on important or contentious changes within the
> Project.  The idea is to avoid discussions degenerating into an
> interminable argument on the mailing lists with ultimately no action
> being taken.
>
> The FCP process is modelled on similar ideas in other projects,
> particularly the Python Enhancement Process
> (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/), the Joyent RFD Process
> (https://github.com/joyent/rfd/blob/master/README.md), and even the
> venerable IETF RFC Process
> (https://www.ietf.org/about/standards-process.html)
>
> In summary, anyone wanting to make a change that will result in a
> non-trivial effect on the FreeBSD User Base, (or retrospectively anyone
> having backed out a change after running into contention over something
> that turned out less trivial than they anticipated), should write down
> what they propose to change, describing what problem they are trying to
> solve, how they propose to solve it and what consequential impact this
> will have.  Contact the fcp-editors@ mailing list for assistance in
> getting your proposal into releasable state. The document is then added
> to the FCP index, committed into the FCP repository and published for
> discussion.  Each FCP proposal is a living document and will be updated
> to reflect any conclusions resulting during the discussion.
>
> Once consensus has been achieved, or the discussion has gone on for
> enough time, Core will vote on accepting the FCP.  Core will be voting
> according to the mood of the discussion around the proposal.
>
> The current state of fcp-0000.md -- the document that defines the FCP
> process -- can be viewed at
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/fcp/blob/master/fcp-0000.md
>
> This is a working document and subject to change.  We will be applying
> the FCP process as far as possible to fcp-0000 itself: this message
> counts as the formal announcement on the fcp@FreeBSD.org mailing list
> placing fcp-0000 into 'feedback' status.  Your contributions are
> welcome, by email to the fcp@FreeBSD.org mailing list, or by submitting
> issues or pull requests, or by annotating the fcp-0000.md document text
> through GitHub.
>
> For help with generating a new FCP document and discussion around the
> FCP process please join the fcp-editors@FreeBSD.org mailing list.

I think the FCP idea is good, but I don=E2=80=99t like the fact that only c=
ore@ can
vote.  Core has been an entity that doesn=E2=80=99t get to decide much on t=
he
direction of the project and I was under the impression that most people
were okay with this because the developers were the ones deciding the
direction of the project.  Why can=E2=80=99t committers vote?

It was explained at bsdcan the the vote is primarily for "this repents the
general consensus" rather than, this is the direction we should go. If the
fcp doesn't match consensus then it will be voted no. If there is some
extraordinary issue that didn't come up during the discussion,  I can see
cores role as oversight for the project taking over (eg nobody realized
what they were proposing was illegal or had an unknown liabilty).

That needs to be more clearly articulated in the fcp.

Warner

=E2=80=94
Rui Paulo