Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:52:09 +0200
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Paul A. Procacci" <pprocacci@datapipe.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: General Mysql Performance Question

Paul A. Procacci wrote:
> My question is in reference to the 1st and 2nd graphs on this page.
> While testing the performance of the databases given in this graph, the
> one thing that sticks out is that when Mysql uses the myisam engine with
> the ULE schedular, performance drops quite considerably regardless of
> mysql version.  The clearly shows ULE to perform worst at higher work
> loads than 4BSD, at least in this one example.
>
> Now, I read that lockmgr code is still a work in progress, but I'm
> unsure if that applies specifically to this specific problem that I'm
> providing.  What I'm hoping for quite frankly is a "yes, this is
> because...." type of response.
>
> This isn't a problem per se, but rather a curiosity type of question.

myisam has huge lock contention, so probably ULE is more efficiently
scheduling the processes and increasing contention yet further, leading
to a net drop of performance.  That kind of thing is fairly common when
you have a workload with high contention; if you improve performance at
one bottleneck the performance at a later bottleneck can get worse.
Performance will still be better on other workloads, or when further
work improves the other bottlenecks.

Kris