Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:05:14 +0100
From:      "A.J. \"Fonz\" van Werven" <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        soralx@cydem.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speedup ports install

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> IIRC portmaster only creates packages as backup of the installed version
> just in case the new package will fail it can reinstall the old one
[snip]
> Note that the backup thing of portmaster could now possibly be removed
> since the ports tree support staging because now the ports tree checks
> that everything is ok before installing on the system, but that would
> require even more refactoring.

FWIW:

a) Portmaster creates backup packages of currently installed versions, to
   allow rollback indeed.
b) Portmaster can build new packages of the new versions, e.g. for a local
   repository.
c) Note that both use "pkg create" or "pkg_create", not "make package".

Out of the box, Portmaster does (a) and not (b), but this can easily be
changed through commandline options and/or a configuration file. There-
fore, I'd recommend simply changing the default setting of (a) from on to
off instead of removing feature (a) altogether.

AvW

--=20
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR--