Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 1995 9:08:56 +0200 (O)
From:      ROBIN@ptnsct.nis.za (Robin Hunt)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Drive question, try # 2

Hi,

This is a repeat of my previous message which remains unanswered:

I have a 486DX2-80 (16 Meg) running 2.0 SNAP 950213 (or thereabouts). It has a
2 Meg caching IDE controller and (currently) on 540 meg conner driver.

I am trying to add a second drive, being an 850Mb Conner CFA850A.

If I use sysinstall to add the drive, it works fine (FDISK/DISKLABEL/MOUNTPOINTS)
until I select (P)roceed. Then it just halts. At this point it has added
the partition table and disklabel. If I run newfs on it, that also works,
fsck does too. I am then able to mount the drive. However, if I then umount
the drive and reboot, the fsck fails with "BAD MAGIC NUMBER", and the drive
is effectively trashed.

The fault does not lie with the drive since I was able to install FreeBSD
with no problem onto the drive with the drive in a machine by itself.

Please, I would appreciate a few suggestions...

Replies to: robin@ptnsct.nis.za