Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:30:52 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which FreeBSD for Intel i7-2600S and DQ67SWB3?

On 06/06/2012 08:33 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> This looks like the processor I have, I think you would use amd64.  Almost certainly your system is 64-bit as opposed to 32-bit.

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

Yes, definitely 64-bit.

> For a new computer, I wouldn't go with anything earlier than FreeBSD 9.0, and in my case, upgrading to 9.0-STABLE proved stabler than the 9.0 release.

STFW:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-March/239742.html

It looks like -STABLE are daily development/ test builds (?):

ftp://ftp.allbsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-snapshots/amd64-amd64/

I'm looking for stability.  I'll try the 9.0-RELEASE:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/

> Base system includes ZFS.

Good.

> I've never used virtual machines, but VirtualBox is popular for this purpose.

VirtualBox does seem to be popular.  It played with it on Debian Testing
(Wheezy), but I believe the shared folder feature filled my root
partition and I couldn't locate or remove the blockage.

> Samba is in ports.

Okay.

> I don't recognize or don't remember DQ67SWB3 motherboard model, is it from MSI?

Intel:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dq67sw.html

I'm not sure what the "B3" suffix means, but it's on the box.

A few other questions for the list, please:

1.  Does FreeBSD support encrypted disk partitions (slices)?

2.  Does the X server in FreeBSD (?) support Intel HD 2000 integrated
graphics?

David