Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:47:05 +0000
From:      "Charles A. Peters" <charlespeters@tecpro.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Gateway to Allow Shared Access to ISP?

Date sent:      	Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:             	"Charles A. Peters" <charlespeters@tecpro.com>
Copies to:      	questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:        	Re: Modem Gateway to Allow Shared Access to ISP?

> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Charles A. Peters wrote:
>
> > I would like to allow users on a novell 3.12 network to access the
> > internet via a freebsd gateway, with a 56k modem through our local ISP.
> >
> > I am currently doing this semi-successfully with a product called Midpoint
> > Gateway for Windows 95/NT.  The problem is that my users are having one hell
> > of a time sending and receiving email (WWW access is just great).  There is not
> > much web browsing, but there is a considerable amount of emailing.  The
> > Midpoint gateway does not easily allow users to send and receive email (the
> > setup is confusing and does not work consistantly).
>
> What protocol are you using for email?  Why not just replace the gateway
> with a FreeBSD box and run natd on it, and set up the windows machines to
> do tcp/ip directly (if they aren't already)?  natd is very transparent and
> can handle most types of traffic without modification.

These machines, all Win95 boxes are setup to do tcp/ip.  Each has a local static
ip address in the following form:

	Tom's machine:		192.168.0.42
	Sheila's machine:	192.168.0.48
	Floras Machine:	192.168.0.41
	etc...

The midpoint gateway is currently set to 192.168.0.1.  This machine is assigned
a dynamic ip address (on the dialup adapter) upon connection with our ISP.  The
midpoint gateway then forwards all traffic in and out as appropriate.  It usually
works for http (WWW), but is very inconsistant for things shuch as email.
These inconsistancies are why I would like to switch out the midpoint in favor of
something that is more reliable (that I don't have to babysit).

I invision this gateway using the ip address of 192.168.0.1 on the network card.
It then dials up the ISP whenever it detects any internet traffic (ie. www.cnn.com
or ftp.cdrom.com, or pop3/smtp, etc...).  After all traffic has stopped for a few
minutes, it will disconnect from the isp, and then wait for more traffic, once it
sees it, the dialup/connnect process begins again.

I will go with this method if I am given simple instructions (a point to the
appropriate docs) on how to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Charles

charlespeters@tecpro.com