Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 05:17:45 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "David Daugherty" <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>, "Bhishan Hemrajani" <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cable download varies w/FreeBSD

> 500kbytes will probably read as 500KB. While 500kbits will read 500Kb.
> Please note the case of the "b's", KB and Kb. As far as I know the cable
> modems through AT&T are limited to 1.5 Mbits per second. This only
> translates to 187KBytes, again note the case. In other words at the cable
> modems most optimum speed it can only do 187KByte per second.
>
> The fastest burst speed I've ever seen out of my cable modem is ~1.4Kbits
> per second. Or, 175KBytes. If you're getting 500KBytes per second on a $40
> Internet connection I want to move to your neighborhood! ;)

I'm confused about that last line.  Seems like 1.4Kbits is less than a
modem.  1.4Mbits would be 175KBytes.

Actually, I've gotten about 420KB/sec on my cable.  The secret is multiple
connections.  In other words, I'll only get 1.5 meg from any one download,
but I can easily run 2 concurrent downloads at 1.5 meg for a total of 3.
I'm not sure why the cable behaves like this (there weren't cable modems
really, when I took data comm, heh).  But in Windows the program NetAnts
absolutely rocks.  It not only does the stupid resume/retry thing that
GetRight does (and IE/NS should), it downloads each file with 5 different
connections to the same server, each connection "resuming" at a particular
spot.  The "ants" just fill in the file, dividing up the work with http
resumes.  I can get at least 350KB/sec, and sometimes much more.  I really
don't know how the cable gets 350KB/sec over 10BaseT, besides maybe
compression, but I've seen it many times, and can reproduce it on demand.
And I know the difference between bit and byte.

btw, I usually don't divide out the bits/bytes like you guys seem to do.  I
was taught in data comm that (a) for modems, 10 bits to a byte for the start
and stop bits, and (b) you can basically do the same for any other kind of
line, and taking into account the overhead, it works pretty nicely.  In
other words, just divide by 10 for your basic bit/byte conversion.
T1=1.54Mb=150kB  33.6kb=3.3kB