Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:58:37 -0500
From:      Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
To:        sid_holliday2001@yahoo.com, "freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Powerpc64 power management control

Interestingly, the firmware update did not seem to help with my=20
PowerMac.=C2=A0 Everything was fine after the first reboot following the =

update, but after rebooting again, I got runaway fans again after a few=20
minutes.

Pondering what might be different on the first boot, I noted two things:

1. The prior boot had been into OS X, so maybe it properly reset some=20
hardware where FreeBSD fails to?
2. For the first FreeBSD boot, I still had a monitor, keyboard, and=20
mouse attached from performing the firmware update in OS X. Most of the=20
time, I run this system headless.

Testing #2 first, I rebooted with and without a monitor a few times.=C2=A0=
=20
Every time I boot headless, I get runaway fans.=C2=A0 Every time I boot w=
ith=20
a monitor attached, there's no problem.=C2=A0 I can detach the monitor af=
ter=20
boot without triggering the issue.

Seems like an odd linkage, but perhaps failure of the video driver to=20
initialize properly is triggering the fan issue?

On 2020-06-27 23:34, sid_holliday2001@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yes thank=E2=80=99s
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 27, 2020, at 7:51 PM, Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> Thanks, I found it by searching the support site.
>>
>> But did it solve the fan issue for you?  So far so good for me - no ru=
naway fans on my first FreeBSD boot following the firmware update.

>> Cheers,
>>
>>      JB
>>
>>> On 2020-06-27 16:32, sid_holliday2001@yahoo.com wrote:
>>>
>>> http://support.apple.com/kb/DL627?viewlocale=3Den_US
>>>

>>> Sent from my
>>> Hope this helps the link is above the picture if it came though if no=
t go to Apple support and type firmware update 5.1.4

have the link to the download site?

 on the Apple site for version 10.3 which I have on a separate hard drive=
 that I can boot to so I will also try that because it also addresses the=
 fans.

 There seems to be something in the boot process that's not being initial=
ized consistently, so after most boots, the fans ramp up after a few minu=
tes or so.  I've found that rebooting has a small probability of eliminat=
ing the issue, so if you can get a clean boot where the fans don't go nut=
s within a few minutes, you should be OK until the next reboot.

lled version 12.1 and have not yet loaded the desktop Gnome3 because the =
fans keep going to high speed, I tried to use the POWRD utility but it lo=
oks like that doesn=E2=80=99t work with this machine. Is their a power ut=
ility in FreeBSD or a third party utility or does anyone know if maybe IB=
M would have a utility for this?